Saturday, September 6, 2008

Free Plates and Flaming Queso

So..three weeks under my belt. My class has grown in size since I last posted as I had expected. I feel like I can just never quite get everthing done in my classroom. Eventually, I'm sure I will get my groove and feel a little more on top of everthing but for now it's kind of hectic. I have a hard time figuring out how to balance my personal life and still be a good, organized teacher. The last three weeks, I have been coming home completely exhausted. How do you guys do it when you have kids?? Seriously!!??!!

Some exciting news...I think Justin and I have decided to build. We have been searching for the right house since last February but we just haven't fell in love with any of them that are in our price range. We have the opportunity to purchase a brand new house and it really seems like the best step for us. We really like the neighborhood that it's being built in. Yes, it is rather not the best area in Siloam Springs (I call it Little Mexico) but super great location as far as being in walking distance to downtown and a beautiful park and walking trail as well as another playground up the hill. We are so psyched and it will be so much fun to have a some say in our colors and other little decisions about our house. I will be posting pictures of the building process. It looks like they will be breaking ground in the next week or so. If anyone wants to be our neighbors you can buy one of the other 3 houses being built next to us. *Hint, Hint*

Justin's parents were visiting over Labor Day weekend. They are the best in-laws anyone could ask for. I have always heard horror stories about in-laws but I am very blessed. We went antique shopping and Jenny happened to buy the only free things in the store. We found 3 square plates that had little chips on them and the price tag said free. Jenny snatched them up, we are really good at finding bargains. I really don't need any plates, we get 3 sets of dinnerware from our wedding and haven't even opened 2 of the sets. No room. My mother in law is very inventive in the kitchen and after we went out to eat at The Marketplace she figured out how to make our own flaming queso dip. Yum! I will have you guys over to our new house and make it for you.

Have a good weekend, and everyone needs to update their blogs!

7 comments:

Just what are those Woods up to? said...

That's great! How exciting, and so fun that you get to decorate things just how you want!

That's cool about Jenny and the free plates, and also a coinsidence because on Saturday I went to a garage sale b/c a fireplace mantle caught my eye, and the man who lived there said everything besides furniture was free (I gathered the free things were his ex-girlfriend's things and he just wanted to get rid of them). So I got two boxes of nice Christmas ornaments, about 6 garlands, and a roll of ribbon for free!

I'm so glad you have great in-laws. I'm sure they love you, too. The queso dip sounds like something I could really go for right about now...but if I tried to experiment in the kitchen I'd end up setting stuff on fire.

Heather said...

SONJA!!! I totally suck at blogging, right now. I hope to kick it up a notch, though -- don't want to disappoint Mrs. Smith! :)

It's awesome to be part of a family that all gets together and both sides (husband's and wife's) get along!

You know what's odd? I get less sleep now (about 5 hours, 6 if I get lucky), but I feel way more energized and more productive, though I'm very exhausted at the same time.

And I'm totally excited about your new house!!! I'm glad it all worked out so well! :) Let the countdown begin.....

Heather said...

Also, I'd like to say that it has to be much, much more exhausting to watch over a classroom full of kids who are all so different. Aaron and I were just talking about this morning how much we appreciate his two teachers, especially one of them who is ALWAYS making time to tell us about how Bro did that day, etc. We give her major kudos!

Arato Girl said...

I saw Jenny's free stuff, it's really cute.

It's awesome that you have great inlaws. It seems like Jenny even loves them, ha ha! I'd really like to know how you make that flaming dip.

It was some of the happiest times working on this house with Vu. You guys are gonna have so much fun.

Carrie said...

mmm flaming queso at the smith casa. i can't wait! :D

yay for free things. i don't think i've ever seen a price tag that said free. good job!

i agree. i don't know how people find the time to get everything done in a day. i feel like i am pretty productive most days but i still never manage to get everything done. now that i think about it... how did i ever get through school?

Anonymous said...

That's so super exciting about building your house!! I can't wait to see pictures. I think I can picture where it's at (the 'Little Mexico' comment mainly) but that is such a good location in town. And I hear downtown is really starting to pick up.

I second Heather's statement, I can't imagine how exhausting it must be to look after a classroom of kiddos. Sheesh. Just one tires me out :-). However, I must admit, I get less sleep and I'm less productive. You should see my house. I'm still not unpacked :(.

Anonymous said...

Sonja! Update Alert! We need an update with things like, how your kids are doing, what Justin is up to, on the "groundbreaking!", etc.

Lots of love!